27 September 2008

peace corps-in' out!

I leave tomorrow for Philadelphia where I will be attending orientation events and meeting my fellow Peace Corps volunteers. There are times when I still can't believe that I'm actually doing this, calling myself crazy for leaving my family and friends for so long; most of the time, however, I can barely wait to arrive in Madagascar and begin my new existence as a PCV.

Once in Madagascar, I will begin training, which involves living with a host family and attending language lessons. On December 10th I have my swearing-in ceremony, and then it's off to my village/town/hut, wherever the Peace Corps decides I will be most effective. Regardless, I will be working as a health care educator, assessing the needs of my community and presenting health information to my community members. It should be a wild ride!

Please send me letters of love. I am going to miss you all so so much!

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Brenden said...

Bro! Update us soon! How's it going??

Jeanette said...

Linds, we miss you and think you are doing a brave, adventure. I know Jen wouldn't do this, she has her phone stuck by herside 24 -7. Even when she had to go to the hospital once. The Nurse wanted to move it. Nope!
Love, Jim, Jeanette, Jen, Justin. Be Safe!

Pam Boat said...

Dear Lindsay,
My best advice, (and I have only been in Africa for a month at a time) - not 2 years like you - i s to look for the adventure in each new day. There is something out there fascinating and new each day. Seek it out, and journal about it. It helps you forget about the things that are difficult. I will be praying for you.. Love, Pam Boat