13 March 2009

homecoming

Well, it's been real. It's been fun. But Peace Corps is leaving Madagascar for the time being. This means I'll be in the United States in a couple weeks? maybe? It's a slow process. Anyway, it's overwhelming and sad and... overwhelming. I don't know what to think or say about our evacuation. I've been frustrated and sometimes frightened by the political situation, but I don't think I ever really believed that PC Madagascar would be suspended. Now that I'm being sent home, I think about all of the friends I've made, language I've learned, and work I've done and have yet to do. I haven't even begun to scrape the surface of life in Madagascar...

Anyway, more to come when I can process all of this :)

amy menaraka indray! - till next time!

2 comments:

Christofer said...

Lindsay! I'm really sad! But I'm glad you're going to be safe. If you need a place to stay in Chicago, we're here. Prayers.

Helen said...

Lindsay,

I am an RPCV from Bolivia. I was in country last September when we were evacuated after the escalation of civil unrest, violence, road blockades and the departure of the US Ambassador.

I saw a blurb in the Washington Post today that you all had been evacuated and my heart just sank. It brought back my own recent memories and feelings of being evacuated from a community and country that I love deeply. I am glad that you are all safe, as I am sure, are you, but I certainly know that that is little consolation for the heartache you must be feeling right now. Even though I can't possibly know how you are all feeling right now, in a way, I do...

Best of luck to you (and all the PC/Madagascar volunteers) as you decide what is next. Make sure they give you the time you need. And make sure you let yourself take the time you need to make a decision.

I'll keep you guys and Madagascar in my heart.

Sincerely,
Helen Rortvedt
RPCV/Bolivia
helen.rortvedt@gmail.com
http://whereshelen.wordpress.com